Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tea and Bargains

Today was the second annual "Mother, Daughter, Sister, Friend Tea" which aims to celebrate women and their holy creation by God. It was so much fun. All of my aunts were there, my Mom, and I. There were probably about 150 ladies and girls all dressed up for tea. It was a little bittersweet. Last year, I went and thought that I was pregnant and was not sure yet and so this year I anticipated it being hard and it still was a little. Anxiety tried to sneak up on me, but I am still claiming Hope, Redemption, and a safe, healthy pregnancy and new baby.

This is a picture of my Mom, Ancy Barbara (she is like my second mom and raised me a good bit when I was young), Aunt Shane (my godmother) and I.

This one is a picture of my Mom and I.

After I left their church, I went to a local grocery store and saw that the thrift store next door was open. As I walked in, I found out there was a sale on baby clothing. I picked up six gorgeous, barely used outfits for $3. Then as I was heading out, I saw this really cute crib bumper and skirt set. It was beautiful and gender neutral and would allow me to play with other colors, accessories as needed. The only problem was it was not priced. Now this was a really high end crib bumper and skirt, so I kept putting it back thinking it is way to early to even be thinking about this. Well, I ended up bringing it to the counter and asked the clerk how much it was and since she could not find the tag said I could buy it for $1.50. At that point, I knew I could donate it to the pregnancy crisis center if I decided not to use it later, so she rang it up. I could not beleive my luck. Well, not so fast - we found the price tag when we removed it from the hanger. This stuff was in excellant condition - looked brand new. It was marked for $10, still a huge bargain. Well, I asked her to go down (why I am I doing this, I am not in Mexico) and she only charges me $6. I love it. I know I can find something absolutely adorable for a blanket or just buy some great material and make one. I was still a little bummed for having not got it for $1.50, but $6 was still awesome. So then I head over to the grocery store and after I checked out, the total did not look right, but the cashier had no time for me to review the prices. I stood at the service counter and reviewed my ticket. I figured out all of the wrong prices and then told the lady and she found out that I was right and she started calling the employees in to change prices on the registers, etc. I was not ugly, I just need to watch all of our money. So then she rescans the items that were not prices right and credited the full amount to my bank card. Not even charging me the right price for the items. I had to be honest, of course, and ask her why she was doing this and she said it is their policy to not charge at all if the item was mispriced. Really strange, but I end getting a credit for almost the amount of money I spent at the thrift store. I thought, God does really reward honesty. I floated out of the store. I am a sucker for saving money!!!!

7 comments:

  1. The tea sounds so fun and you got a steal at the thrift store. I love thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You had some great luck today finding bargains!!! I'd love to see photos of the stuff you got, btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story, and I love seeing the pictures! I agree with JB, can we see photos of what you bought?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go you!........

    I wanna see your loot too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. POST PICS!!! I can't wait to see what you got!!!!

    Great pics!!! There's a baby in your butt! ;) hahaha That's what DH says to me-Is there a baby in your butt? crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bargains and good times! I never bought the blanket that matched our set anyway, you likely won't use one for a long time due to SIDs risk and instead use the little blanket sleepers they wear (so cute!) It is amazing how much you never use from the sets (for example, when you lower the mattress after newborn stage, you can't even see the bedskirt!) Also blankets seem to be a favorite gift, so I am sure you will get plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Buy things! Act in faith, you DO have a baby in your belly! (as my daughter would say).

    ReplyDelete