Friday, January 16, 2009

Some much needed inspiration . . .

It's true, I have been feeling pretty down about where I am in my life right now. This always happens around my birthday. Life sure did not turn out like I planned it, but at the same time I am so thankful for all of the gifts and new hope the past year has brought me.
I am bored beyond belief this week. Seriously, this almost never happens and I think it has given me too much time to think and wallow in my own pity.
Well, my office is filled with Catholic books so I picked one up today and read until I found some hope for my situation. I know the story of Saint Joachim and Saint Anne, but nothing prepared me for one solitary line that would take my breath away.
This story was found in the book "Voices of the Saints" by Bert Ghezzi. A medieval hagiographer says that when Joachim was so saddend by the shame inflicted on him for be unable to father a child, that he decided to avoid his family and friends and go live with his sheperds, God intervened. Jacob of Voragine, the medieval hagiographer, says "an angel appeared to Joachim and said 'I am sent to announce to you that your prayers have been heard . . . I have seen how you were put to shame, and heard the reproach of childlessness wrongly put upon you. God punishes not nature but sin, and therefore, when he closes a woman's womb, he does this in order to open it miraculously later on, . . . So then, your wife will bear you a daughter and you will call her Mary. As you have vowed, she will be consecrated to the Lord from infancy and filled with the Holy Spirit from her mother's womb. . . Miraculously, the Son of the Most High will be born of her. His name will be Jesus, and through him all nations will be saved. And let this be a sign to you when you arrive at the Golden Gate of Jerusalem, Anne your wife will be there waiting for you . . .Meanwhile, Anne was weeping bitterly, not knowing where her husband had gone, when the same angel . . .reavealed to her the same thing told to Joachim, and added that . . .she should go to jerusalem's Golden Gate, where she would meet her husband . . . So they met as the angel had predicted, and were happy to see each other and to be sure they were to have a child. They adored God and went to their home, joyfully awaiting the fulfillment of the divine promise. Anne conceived and brought forth a daughter and they called her Mary."
As I said earlier, I have just been having a difficult time lately believing that God would like for me to have a child with my husband. I feel that I am just having a hard time accepting that it is going to include me taking lots of meds and vitamin supplements when my friends, family, and coworkers that eat nothing but junk and never care for their bodies and have beautifully perfect babies that they tire of so easily. This post is really taking a negative turn and so I am going to nip it in the bud.
I really needed this message today and I wanted to share it with all of you who provide so much support to me.
On a side note, I got my new meds in the mail and I started the B6 today. We will see what the future holds while being assured that it is held loving in the hands of my loving Father.
Lastly, look at how Joachim dealt with the problem - he isolated himself and in turn left his wife wondering where he was with all of this. She weeped bitterly alone and he wandered, literally. Then the angel spoke to both of their hearts and they were reunited in the hope of God. Finally, look at how Joachim and Anne responded to God's promise "they adored God and went home to joyfully await the fulfillment of the divine promise!" I need to do the same.

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I have totally stepped back from being outgoing and with friends. That is awesome!

    I am just waiting on the angel to appear to me saying "Sew, in two months your womb will be opened, you have found favor with God!!" Yay right! Wouldn't you die!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I literally started tearing up when I read that line, "When God closes a woman's womb, He does so in order to open it miraculously later on."

    Oh, that we may all experience that miracle of life this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting your experience today, it is giving me hope. I would love it if an angel appeared to me, but I don't think that will ever happen. However, I think that this this quote can have so many meanings. I hope the Lord opens my womb in the biological way but if He doesn't, then I pray he opens my preverbial womb (and mind) to His Divine Will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an awesome and powerful post. Thank you so much for sharing. It touched my heart in so many ways.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The word for this week for me has been "wait". With this, I too am in the time of being patient until God opens up my womb for Scott and I to have our beautiful miracle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It is my prayer, as is many of your other followers, that this year will be the year for you to have your womb opened and give birth to your miracle. :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hugs and blessings,
    Stacey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifu story! I think many of us fail to look at IF from the husband's perspective. I love it.

    ReplyDelete