Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One year ago today

One year ago today I had my laparotomy with Dr. H in Omaha and I remember all of my nurses and that I was in room 4508! I can't believe it has been a year. I have had three surgeries in less than 11 months. It was with this surgery that all of my endo was removed and had the ovarian wedge resection, in additon to having the adhesions removed!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to celebrate this day! It was a day of rebirth, healing, and brought new hope into our hearts. I remember trying to walk for the first time and tears streaming down my face as I thought there could not be anything more painful than that. Yet they were right in telling me that once I started walking, I would see myself getting better faster! I am so thankful that I am better and hope to be for awhile. This surgery was necessary for us to be able to conceive Nicky in April 2009! I do have to say that while I was recovering from this surgery, I wondered if I would ever want to have children, because if this is what it felt like to recover from a c-section, it would kick my butt! As I am writing this, I remember that it seemed that there were so many babies being born right near my room. Of course, they put me smack down in the middle of the maternity floor and I would hear newborn cries the whole time. At first I was resentful of this, then I was thankful because it led me to dream about the day I would one day find myself on a maternity ward for all the right reasons and I would wander off to sleep (with the help of some wonderful morphine) dreaming about seeing my babies for the first time and hearing their first cries. I do believe that this can happen. Today I am hopeful. Until I have no more means to nurture life . . .I will nurture my dreams of nurting new life in my womb.

9 comments:

  1. Amen!!! And in two months is my 1 year anniversary!!!

    He makes all things new.........

    I heard a c-section isn't bad. I mean coming from our types of surgery it's not bad. :) That's what I hear anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy healing anniversary, and I hope you are fully physically healed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! This is a beautiful post. So hopeful ;)

    Praying,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post.
    So descriptive!! I always wonder, "why do they put us in those maternity wards?" I was not as good as you in handling that aspect of things this last go round. I keep meaning to mention it to the hospital ...

    Anyways, I am SO excited for what is in your future. It is amazing to think how far we have come, isn't it? Thanks for your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have reread my post before I posted. Lets try again....

    Did you have Holly - she was a blonde and young or Julie as your nurses? Holly was the night nurse and was so gentle. Julie was my day nurse. I loved them. George went over to PPVI and purchased copies of Women Healed for the nurses station so they could read why we traveled so far to see Dr. HIlgers.

    I loved being there. I felt so safe and taken care of. I didnt care what Dr. Hilger had to do. I knew I was in the best hands.

    They put me at the end of the hallway. They wanted me to walk and get up and about. Telling me where the babies were at if I wanted to see them. Also we ventured down the hall to the outside patio area. I remember someone smoking in the area we were sitting in (no-smoking) I had my IV poll and gown on. George walked over to ask if they would move to the smoking area with the others bc I was recovering. This person looked at me with such a look and moved. HA. come on its a hospital.

    Anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts today. I loved my time in Omaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,
    I did have Julie for my nurse. She was fantastic. George had such a great idea in giving them that book! From what I can remember, you said your surgery was right before mine. Maybe she read her book before I arrived. Hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Life in Mazes, I stumbled upon your blog because I was searching for some advice on carrying my newly discovered cross of infertility--thank you for your post! It seems like you had a good experience with Dr H--what is he like? I gave up on my other doctor and have an appointment with Dr H next month. Can you give me an idea of what to expect? After the bombshell my last doctor dropped on me, I don't quite feel strong enough to hope yet...do you have any advice for me? Thank you again for your inspirational post.
    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  8. annie,

    I could not get to your blog. Send me your email information and I will be happy to talk with you about your upcoming appt!

    ReplyDelete