Thursday, November 8, 2012

Kind advice requested

I am asking for kind advice on ways to help Joseph effectively learn not to use his limbs to kick or slap when he doesn't get what he wants and when he wants it. We have done the removing him from the situation, room, holding his hands, telling him we don't hit, etc. I need fool proof ways to help improve his behavior, he will listen when I tell him to go to his time away area, but he is not getting the lesson yet. Is this a stage? It multiplies after getting in and out of carseat a few times too.

Be kind to my worn out heart, I don't need to hear I screwed up being his Momma!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Oh C - YOU ARE AN AMAZING MAMA...and so very far from being a screwed up momma! I don't have direct experience with this because Elizabeth is too young yet, but I did hear something interesting in ECFE class the other day about this behavior in toddlers. The teacher recommended holding their hands and saying something like "We don't hit when we are upset and I am holding your hands until you have the self control to do it on your own." And with anything...I guess consistency is the key. I don't know if this helps at all, but I do know one thing - YOU ARE AN AMAZING MOM! Did I say that already... :) Well, it deserves repeating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not messing up at all, it is the age ~ when anger or frustrated toddlers have more energy than they know what to do with. You can absolutely set ground rules about not hitting or kicking people/animals but allow for some kicking of the ground/punching pillows as you teach him to use words. My four year old still occasionally has to 'jump her mad out' as she describes it. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really hard stage. I made the rules funny to keep myself from over-reacting. The two main rules were "We don't bite, he's not a hot dog and we don't hit, he's not a baseball."

    My son wasn't good at "time-outs" because he'd start to spiral and loose more control. I did "time ins' where he had to stay with me, doing whatever boring work I did in the moment.

    Have great hope! Prayer and patience for this hard, (embarrassing) stage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any firsthand experience either, but I do know that this is a tough stage and you are a VERY good mama!!!

    ReplyDelete