Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 1: 30 Days of Thankfulness

 

DSCN5116

A few of my favorite bloggers are doing a series on Thankfulness for the month of November and I decided to join in!  I hope I can keep it up.

A thought that has been going circles in my mind lately is really silly, but it is still teaching me lessons.  The other day at the pumpkin patch with all three boys and Jessy, I was chasing Joseph like a mad woman and we were almost done looking around and I gave the older boys the job of picking out a large pumpkin for us to purchase and take home.  Well, they did not do the job of choosing a pumpkin the same way I would have and that reality should not have surprised me.  They chose a rather ugly, dented, stained, lopsided pumpkin and my husband loaded it up all without me glancing at it.  When it was unloaded at home, I was disappointed.  I admit it, I kept wondering “WHY THAT ONE?”

I have nearly a week to reflect on that pumpkin that is sitting proudly on my front porch and my first thought in accepting it as it was went along these lines “Well, someone has to pick the ugly ones!!”  That reaction was so far from where I would want my spirituality to be so I searched my heart more in wondering why I disliked the pumpkin so much.  I finally came to the realization that when we cut that pumpkin open, it will have the same looking insides as the pretty ones and isn’t that the lesson we try to teach our kids – “It’s what is on the inside that counts!”  So, tonight I am thankful that I have three boys in my home that are teaching me to be more like Christ, more accepting of the less than perfect things in my life, teaching me that I just might always be the only ‘girl’ in this house and all of that is OK!!!

DSCN5136

DSCN5139

DSCN5115

DSCN5142

DSCN5141

No comments:

Post a Comment