Thursday, February 4, 2010

Barren Woman ~ Happy Mother of Children

Psalm 113:9

 

He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children.

Praise the LORD.

 

This scripture has been playing over and over in my head for about 2-3 weeks now and I did not know where to look it up in the bible and a friend of mine posted it today on her blog.  I immediately printed out the whole psalm to put on my mirror in my bathroom.  At least I know I will be reading it at least twice a day there. 

 

Well, as I am praying with the scripture, I know how I defined the words in this passage, but I wanted to know how they were defined for many generations past, present, and those yet to come.

 

This is what I found, according to Miriam-Webster online dictionary:

 

settles ~ to bring to rest

 

barren ~ not reproducing; incapable of producing offspring

 

home ~ a place of residence

 

happy ~ favored  by fortune;  notably fitting; effective; or well-adapted; enthusiastic about something to the point of obsession

 

mother ~ a female parent

 

children ~ an unborn or recently born person

 

WOW!!!!  That is my word when I am awestruck at God's generosity and goodness.

 

All this time that I spent questioning so many things in my life and here, I have found the answers.  Nothing less than a gift straight from the Throne of Grace.

 

I have spent so many years questioning this desire of mine to parent children on earth.  Is it a selfish desire?  If God created my body the way that is, is he trying to tell me that I would not be a good mother and therefore I am having to work super hard to conceive, bear, and give birth to a child?  Is He silent to my desire, my dreams, my vocation?

 

I have always mysteriously, by faith, believed that He did will me to be a mother as part of my vocation to married life but today it has been confirmed.  God did not will this barrenness on me!  He did not allow me to suffer from many medical problems that complicate my ability to become a mother because he did not love me, in fact He tells me of His compassion to my suffering that He will make me, a barren woman the happy mother of children in MY home. 

 

With all of that being said, I do find great peace in knowing that I have been able to be used by God to help co-create two beautiful souls for God's kingdom through my union with my husband.  So when I came to the definition for children as being an unborn or recently born person, I knew I had to look up the word unborn. 

 

Grace enveloped me as I read the most beautiful words defining unborn.

 

unborn ~ still to appear; existing without birth

 

Now, that speaks to my heart on so many levels.  I was first of all blown away that the dictionary confirmed my faith that I WILL meet my children one day in heaven.  Then I immediately wanted to holler from the rooftops that this definition alone could save so many babies from abortion.  Save their mommies and daddies, too.

 

Simply, this breaking down of the scripture has changed my outlook and has buoyed my faith that God is looking compassionately at me and all of my peers who are struggling, searching, begging to see His will manifested in their lives.  God does have it all figured out, my only job is to be cooperative and to wait.

 

Bring us our happiness LORD, settle us barren women in our homes as happy mothers of children.

We also beg you to comfort our holy husbands to desire to seek your will in their lives and make them happy fathers, too!

 

Sidenote:  I love the definition of mother.  It does not say one who gives birth to a child, it says "a female parent".

 

 

6 comments:

  1. After your comment on my blog I couldn't wait to come over and read this post. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed! This may be my favorite thing you've ever written. THANK YOU for sharing this blessing and for looking deeper into God's Word.

    I was going to pick out my favorite parts, but I can't. It's all great, from beginning to end. All I can say is, Amen! That is also my prayer, for me, for you, and all of my sweet sisters who are struggling with this. God bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I really need to dive more in the Word...the truth spoken here and elsewhere in the Bible is so much what my hurting soul needs right now. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and are are so aligned on cycle days and this scripture. This is my most favorite scripture that speaks directly to US. I mean point blank directly. Your research on looking up the words makes this scripture MORE meaning full to me....

    BARREN WOMAN-HAPPY MOTHER OF CHILDREN! :)

    Love it!

    Glad that your cycle review went well. I can't believe that bleeding! It's crazy how easy it is to get back into the mode of trying again....It's almost new and refreshing and to think you only just did it 3 or so weeks ago.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a beautiful post. I got goosebumps about the unborn. Amazing. Makes me smile about my 2saints that have existed without birth and still to appear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Haven't been on the blogs in awhile, so I just saw that it was your birthday earlier this week. Hope 33 is a blessed year for you! (And I loved the china in the picture. So pretty!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this reflection. I definitely need to put that verse on my mirror or something. I love the definitions. I'm so glad I got to finally meet you today.

    ReplyDelete