Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The cloak of sadness has lifted

I just wanted to write a short post (let's see if I can keep it short) about being ministered to by the angels while in the desert. I truly feel humbled that I was so blessed to receive the prayers of so many beautiful souls, especially for those that offered up their suffering in my behalf. I think that yesterday was my peak day and for some reason that I cannot understand, I get extremely emotional. Anything can make me cry, roll my eyes, or make me want to only get MY way. I even saw my spiritual director for a few minutes yesterday as she stopped my office to see her spiritual director and she simple asked me if I would be around during Holy week for our next appointment. I told her that I was planning to go on retreat that week (I just found out about it having openings) so she asked me how I was and I told her I was miserable. Then the dam broke and the tears shed. I did not want to cry as I was sitting at my desk and I had already had a few crying spells in the bathroom earlier. I told her miserable is a very strong word, but that I just could not understand why my husband could not compromise. By the way the whole reason I was upset with my husband was bc of a comment he made about a tv character who changed her mind about adoption. I was blown away at the words that came next bc he really does not believe that the child can have peace and know their true value when they discover that their parents did not value them enough to keep them and raise them themselves. We both we unplanned pregnancies (his mom was 15 when she got pregnant with him and she kept him and married his father and they are still together - not typical, they were blessed ; and my mom was raped at 15 and got pregnant at this first sexual encounter and then was encouraged to abort me by my own grandmother because she feared what would happen to my mom if she kept me, so my mom ran off and married another guy who mistreated her, but she sacrificed and kept me). To my husband this is the greatest love a parent can show their child is by never abandoning them, he does not see that giving the child the chance at a better life is showing great love and sacrifice too. I had a very difficult childhood and by the grace of God I was never abused or mistreated. My entire mom's family helped in raising me and then I was blessed with a faithful stepfather at 9 years old and that is where my faith journey began. Anyway, can you see how I got all bent out of shape for something that really means alot to me, but to my husband he did not know what set me off.
After I shed a few tears with my spiritual director, she told me that I need to see her sooner and that she wants me to know that some people say hard times make you stronger, but I say hard times make you better. You will come out of this better. Well, after she left, I truly felt like the cloak of darkness was lifted from my shoulders. Someone once told me that tears clean our eyes so that our vision will be clearer. I think this is true. FJIEJ suggested that J and I find some bonding things to do together and we did about three of them last night. We cooked dinner together, prayed for one another, and honeymooned :)
God was very gracious to me yesterday and today. Today, at prayer we talked about Jonah and the whale and I truly believe that I am being delivered from the belly of the whale. Yesterday, I was in the belly of the whale - in utter darkness. Just talking about it today almost made me cry. Do any of you experience lots of weepiness around your peak days? Since my surgeries and getting my hormones levels out a bit, I feel like I am getting to know a new me. It is very hard. Alot of the time, I feel emotionally unstable. But today I am better. Thank Jesus! Thank you so much for your prayers.
Here is another thought that I am sharing with God and discerning what it all means. So much for keeping this post short. I remember at my lingerie shower I had all of my closest friends, my aunts, and my grandma there. It was a suprise and was very special. I remember my grandma asked me how many children I wanted to have (keep in mind she was the mother of seven) and I quickly told her "I want a big family, as many as God wants to give me." The 'as many as God wants to give me" part is really making me wonder if I can be at peace if God is only wanting to give us the one he already gave us and the one he called home to himself? Or is all of the work that we have done really what God has called us to so that he can bless us generously in his own timing. I keep thinking that w/o doing all of the surgeries and the meds, etc . . . that I would not have really been open to life. Doing the surgeries and all of the daily meds are my calling to be open to life in my marriage. Does any of this make any sense to those of you out there who are traveling the same road I am on?
One final note, I promise - if God is working on my husband's heart to prepare it for adoption and his wonderings and comments that might seem anti-adoption to me, might in fact be him working it out in his head and heart. I will continue to be patient and love my husband. May God bless all of us and our marriages. May we forever find consolation in knowing that we are living out God's will for our lives.

7 comments:

  1. I was crying as I read this!
    Tears can be cleansing, for sure.

    I don't know whether I get weepy, I think I am always pretty moody in general, with IF!

    What a beautiful faith you have. God has not forgotten you, and IS working out His plan with you AND your husband AND your future children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At times I can be really moody, I tend to go towards anger rather than sadness. I am happy you are feeling better. Also, I am so glad you did some bonding activities! They always make us feel better. IF can really tear apart a marriage at times. It can be so difficult when spouses are not on the same page. My DH is the one that really wanted to pursue adoption but I just couldn't emotionally invest in both at the same time. Thanks for sharing the life giving stories of your mothers, couragous women they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing so openly. So glad you're out of the darkness and had a special night with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my hubby and I need to do some special bondings too. I will look into that. I think the hormones I took made me feel really grumpy at times and emotional too besides the upset stomach. Ugh.....There are brighter days ahead. I know it! Keep praying...God is listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know that this post was such a blessing to me. Maybe that sounds strange - I certainly don't like reading about people going through hard times! But reading stories like yours (about people who have survived hardship and yet have strong faith) really inspires me.

    Thank you for sharing all of these deeply personal things. I will continue to pray for you and your husband on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly a gift of God! God definitely wants you here to provide such awesome support and friendship to others amongst many other things of course!!

    I'm glad you are feeling better. Having a good cry really does help, usually I let it all build up and it affects people around me, but once I sit and just cry and let it all out and cry out to the Lord, right afterwards I feel so much better. But tears are necessary.

    You most definitely are opened to life. My sister was reading Padre Pio book and he said something to the effect that we must do everything we can to take care of our bodies and by healing our bodies and trying to concieve we are doing our part, the rest is in the Hands of our Lord.
    Courage LIM!! May the peace of Christ be with you!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful story with me, it really shows me how God works in very mysterious way and how we may not always understand but that God has a plan for each of us in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what I powerful post! Thank you for being so open. I'm just getting caught up on your blog but I wanted to let you know that YES, I get extra weepy right around Peak and the week before CD1. I'm so glad that you had an angel to minister to you. You're in my prayers. Blessings, LA

    ReplyDelete