Thursday, February 19, 2009

What kind of mother will I be? *update

Daisy sneaking a peek at baby Jesus.

Daisy successfully destroying the vinyl mini blinds, thus allowing me to plead my case for 2" faux wood blinds
Daisy getting comfortable.



This is about the time we found out about her special needs. She kept wanting to jump from these tall bar stools in our kitchen :)


Daisy getting comfortable in the special blanket my mom made for her so that she would feel no need to climb on mine.


This is a post in honor of the fur baby in our home: Daisy!

This is meant to be a light hearted post, but my heart was a little heavy today.





Yesterday, I needed to bring Daisy, our cat, to the vet to get her annual shots. Well, she was doing her typical routine last night but went to her bed early. Well, during the night, she met me halfway when I headed to the bathroom, she is usually on my heels. So she just wasn't herself. I thought, this will pass. I pet her and talked with her for a few minutes and then went back to bed.





First thing this morning as I am doing my am routine, I notice she is barely moving, not talking (meowing), or getting out of her bed. I keep thinking in the back of my mind, it could take about 24 hours for her to get back to feeling like her old self. It is hard to leave her home. I tried to motivate her with treats, this just made her move bc she did not to be near the smell of the treats. I just moved the treats, gave her a blessing and tore myself away to go to work.





Well, needless to say, I was WORRIED all day long. Full of anxiety that I would come home and have her barely breathing or worse. Before you think that I have gone off the deep end, this behavior was similiar to what happened to our Angel the cat I had for 11 years. One day I brought her to the vet and then she got terribly sick and never recovered. Her list of medical concerns included cancer and every day she got worse. She only lasted about 10 days after that vet visit. We always thought that it had to have been the FEMA camper we had lived in while we were trying to get our home and land fixed up after Hurricane Rita. There was lots of formaldahyde poisoning found and we thought that maybe she was more exposed to the fumes since she stayed in the camper during the day (with the air on of course) while we went to work. Well, that being said. I worried like a crazy woman today.





My husband got home before me and he called me to tell me that she was moving and talking and waiting for me at the screen door. I hurried home. She moved so slowly and looked to be so sore. I finally got her to eat a few treats and then about an hour later we were able to get her to eat some of her food. My husband was able to get her to drink some fresh water.





I keep thinking I am going to worry like a mad woman any time my kids get sick! In any event, I will be so thankful to have a kid to worry about and care for, even when the may be puking everywhere.





Oh, and another tid bit about our lovey Daisy. Her two joints at the hips do not have sockets. Not kidding. We used to wonder if she had been injured or hit by a car before we adopted her because if she moved a certain way, she would limp around for a few hours and we could tell she was in pain. The vet did some xrays on her and they found that there is no hole (sockets) for the to hip joints to fit in. It basically is bone rubbing against bone which they said would bother her more with age and added weight. We do try to help her to maintain a healthy weight, but she is not 12 lbs, 3 oz. Pretty big. She also stays constipated. So the vet told us to add metamucil to her food. Now that I am typing all of this, I am just so overwhelmed with all of her special needs. We just try to love her, she is so doggone lovable.





Hope you all are having a great evening and that you did not spend your day worrying away, as I did!
*****************
Daisy is almost back to herself 100%. Something to be thankful for in the midst of all of the craziness in my life.




5 comments:

  1. Praise God she's okay! I always feel worried when my own kitty is down and out. He's been there for me when I've needed a friend. Sometimes when I cry he comes and sits on my lap. I think that is so sweet. He's my "baby" and he knows it. Bubby is definitely family. Thank God for pets!
    Oh...my hubby and I are thinking about getting adopting another cat. We went to a "Fur Ball" last Sat for a humane society and they mentioned needing foster homes. So, we are thinking of fostering another cat just to see how our Bubby would like a friend. It's a great way to find out. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God! Our pets really are like children. To some people they're "just" animals, but when they look at you a certain way or meow a certain way, you just know they love you and that they know how much you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently i asked my mom and sister if they think i will be a good mother and they said, 'yes, look at what a great job you do with all your dogs ( i have 3)'. So i think we have that montherly instinct to take care of other people, whether it's a cat, dog or a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh phew, I'm glad to hear she is feeling much better and acting herself again. What a sweetie she is (looks like)! I love that photo of her on the blankie, you can tell she just LOVES it, and knows it's hers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have the same cat! Especially in the first picture.. except mine is probably ten pounds heavier!

    I'm so glad she's better. I can't even imagine anything happening to ours. It gives me anxiety just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete