Sunday, January 1, 2012

My encounter with Mary

Mass today was amazing. Not because I got to hear the homily. Not because I got to listen to the readings of Scripture. Not because I got to sit in my pew the whole time, because I spent the majority of the time keeping Joseph happy in the back. I did not mind, except that he is getting so heavy. From the back of the church I could tell my husband was haning on the priest's every word. It is not even because the priest spoke so well and Joseph obviously loved him from the moment he walked down the aisle, I could not even tell you his name. It was because there was a beautiful girl sitting in the pew right across the aisle from me. She did not look to be a day past her sixteenth birthday, She was glowing, positively glowing. She would look toward Joseph and I and just beam . . . as she held the most beautiful little angel closely and peacefully in her loving arms. I had never seen this young woman before at our church but then again we have been slackers lately in our church attendence with Joseph's sleep routine. She just looked to be the most patient, calm Momma in the whole church :) She was alone in the pew with her daughter and was just so prayerful for a girl her age. It was really a gift to see. So, naturally, after mass, I go over to say a little hello and introduce ourselves and her little one and Joseph finally get to say 'Hi'. They had been admiring one another from a distance for awhile. When I chatter with her, I said "What a beautiful daughter you have. She is very special. I can see she makes her mother very happy." This young woman just shook her head yes so big, with the largest smile I had ever seen and all I could imagine is how lucky I am to meet a "Mary" on this Feast of the Solemnity of Mary. I just love to see a good, young mother. It reminds me to always be thankful for their 'yes', and gives me a glimpse of what our Mom's must have looked like raising Jessy and I. My Mom was only 16 when I was born and Jessy's Mom was only 15. Speaking of young mothers, it was today, 36 years ago that my dear mother-in-law gave birth to my loving husband. I am so thankful that God called us to share our lives together, allows us to dream together, and to grow in faith and love together! I often forget just how blessed I am to have a life partner who is so giving, kind, and fun!!! We have enjoyed the last week and half, as he has been off and spent every day with Joseph, Matthew, Mitchell, and I. He is the most loving man I have ever known and I am so grateful to be loved by him. Happy Birthday, my love. You make so many of my dreams come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment