Monday, June 1, 2009

f/u doctor's appt

Today was okay. It helped that my mom was with me today. My doctor's office waiting room was as terrible as I anticipated. Once they called me back, they put me in the ultrasound room, so there were a few tears there. Then another short wait for the doctor, but once he came in, he took his time with me and answered all of my questions. I asked him what all of it looked like and he showed me the pictures from the surgery. He had taken one of my ruptured tube before he removed it along (I don't want to go into too many details, there are painful to share and to hear)with what it looked like after the removal of the tube and the baby (although they refer to it as tissue). I asked him how this recent surgery would affect my overall fertility and he explained that I probably will have a 25% less likely chance to conceive again. So given the fact that Dr. Hilgers said I had a 90% chance to conceive in 12-18 months following my Sept 08 surgery, that would mean I would have about a 60% chance to conceive agian. Is that likely? I hope so. I really do, even though I am feeling scared to get pregnant again. Maybe I will feel different in a few months. Let's hope and pray so.
When I explained to the doctor that I was having trouble going to sleep at night and he gave me a low-dose sleep medicine that is anti-anxiety med. I am very cautious to take anything that would be habit forming. Yet I am thankful that he was understanding of where I was coming from. He listened very well and patiently. I explained that I would go to be tired, but lay awake for about 3 hours before falling asleep and that it was hard for me to dispel memories of the day I was sick when I am in my bedroom bc that is where all of the drama happened. I do find myself feeling better everyday though. He did say however that I could experience the "baby blues" or post-partum emotions. He wants me to be very clear with him about how I am feeling so he can monitor this, though. We talked about the stages of grief and he seems to believe that the emotions I am feeling is normal bc I did experience the loss of a pregnancy.
I do have to say you all gave me such great support, along with the support of my family and friends, that I feel so encouraged to just let nature take its course, especially with the grieving process. Thank you all for your suggestions to help me in prayer. I did pray a decade of the rosary last night. I kept focusing on the annunciation. It helped me to ponder the thoughts of Mary as she was surely confused as to what the future held for her.
On a side note, I am about to drive my sweet husband crazy with all of the talk about my fears, struggles, and worries. I am going to start journaling again soon. I believe it will help.
God's blessings to you all and thank you for your prayers!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are doing okay.

    It took a lot of strength to go to the Dr.'s office, and to the ultrasound room.

    I also wanted to reassure you that there is nothing wrong with you. Though I have not been through this situation, I can't help but think that every emotion is completely normal. You have suffered a great loss and your heart grieves very deeply over that.

    I cried some tears for you, too, this week. It just doesn't make sense. It really doesn't. Why do all of us struggle with the cross of infertility, then when one of us is lucky/blessed enough to conceive, this happens? I was frustrated with God and just plain hurt. (it's almost as if ... when one of us conceives, we all do ... especially when it's a napro baby!) So in that way, we all feel your loss with you and hurt for you.

    I can't imagine how you have felt over the recent days.

    I hope it helps a little to know that we are all rooting for you, praying for you ... and just here for you.

    Hang in there. And remember God's promise from Jeremiah 29:11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your dr is understanding and concerned about your well-being. It sounds like you are being totally honest with him and that's a good thing. I think the sleep meds will help you feel better too. Laying awake in bed is not good...gives you time to ponder and think about all the things you shouldn't when trying to fall asleep. I haven't journaled in while but it is a great way to write down feelings that you just can't seem to explain to anyone else. I may go back to it this summer when I have more time. Praying that your healing keeps going well. Take your time and keep praying. God is your strength. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear your doctor is still optimistic about you getting pregnant. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to take things that are habit-forming - I need to know that I'm in control in that arena. But if you're strict about not becoming dependent, you'll probably be OK just by your temperament, I would think. It would be nice to get some sleep, I bet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking and praying for you. I'm glad that your doctor was understanding. We're here for you in whatever way we can be to help you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it must have been so hard to go to the appointment. I remember how much I hated going to the doctor's office after a loss, and how it takes every effort not to burst into tears.

    Also I wanted to tell you that I have experienced a lot of anxiety after miscarriage -- in the form of not being able to sleep at night. I would get myself so worked up, lying there trying to fall asleep and just worrying for hours and being unable to even pray. My doctor gave me a prescription for a sleep aid and it helped when I needed it. Just wanted you to know you weren't alone there.

    Still thinking of you as you've been so heavy on my heart. As long as it's not too hard for you, I'm so glad you've continued to write and express your feelings here. You know we all support and love you!

    Praying for God's comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear your appointment went o.k. and your doctor was understanding. Those waiting rooms are the WORST! I can't stand them :( But I am glad your mom was there to support you. Yeah for moms! I do believe that post partum can happen after a miscarriage. Many of my friends have told me this and it makes sense to me. I am glad your doctor is keeping an eye on you. That is sweet. Your chances of getting pregnant in the futuresound really good. That is still a really high chance ;)
    Many, many prayers,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you had such a rough day!

    But I have to say WOW to 90% fertility and then going through what you went through and coming out with only a 25% decrease! HOLY SMOKING COW! That is fantastic news! You have more fertility "percentages" then I do. That is great news!

    I bet that appointment was so hard on you! I am glad you are on sleeping medicine! I hope it will help you to heal as well! :)

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My garden has only sprouted 4 baby tomatoes. I am still waiting on the other stuff.... :) I bought those beauties at the farmers market! ;)

    ReplyDelete