Friday, June 19, 2009

Emotional Days

I was so angry last night that it took me a long time to go to sleep. I was angry for two reasons. First off, I called my doctor to get some idea why I was having gummy mucus for the past 10 days. I wanted to go in to get him to rule out any inflammation to my cervix since this is about the only culprit I could learn about that might cause this weird cm pattern. I called his office around 10:30 yesterday morning and he called me back at 6:00 pm to ask me what the color of the cm was and if I am feeling feverish. I was thinking that the color was clear, but upon closer review of it last night, it has some white in it. I told him that I have not been feeling feverish, so he basically told me that he doesn't think that it is anything to be worried about and it should be fine. I don't want "should be fine". I want to be well. It would be one thing if he has always been right, but he hasn't and I really feel distrustful right now. So DH was home when he called me back and heard the conversation and thinks I am worrying myself needlessly. Well, that just made me P****D off. I clearly told him that maybe the re son I kept enduring pain with the ectopic pregnancy is bc when I would express my concerns about my pain, they were dismissed and cast off as me just worrying myself for nothing. I am still really angry and sad today. I cried last night again and I have been coming so far. I got two phone calls that really uplifted my spirits yesterday and I told both of these friends (one was my Spiritual Director) that I was really doing well and I believed it at the time, but just a few short hours later, the dam broke and I was wondering if I am just going to have to fight for good medical care my whole life. I live in a crummy part of the country where nearly everyone who is sick, feels like they can't trust their doctors. Most travel to Houston to get good medical care. I tried that route and all they wanted to do for me was ART. No thanks.
My belly still hurts on the inside and it is mainly worse in the evenings and during the night when I get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I take a Tylenol every night bc my legs hurt. The leg thing was a problem before my surgery in Omaha and it got better each month after my surgery. I feel like my reproductive organs are like a walking time bomb. There is only so much I can do and only so much I am willing to do and so much that needs optimal care and attention from a knowledgeable doctor. My phone consult with Dr. H is over a month away. I also told my local doctor that I had been having bouts of cramping like a period was coming for over a week and the new cycle has not started. I am still having trouble wearing my regular clothes bc my belly still feels swollen and wearing anything other than nightgowns, dresses, or very loose clothing makes my belly hurt worse at the end of the day. I feel really pathetic. The two highlights of my life right at this moment is that our new kitty is so loving and is getting along somewhat with our older cat Daisy. We are keeping Baylie! The other highlight is that we are going out to eat with some friends tonight and I don't have to cook or clean any dishes.
I really don't know what to do about the local doctor situation. I really like him as a person, but I just don't feel like he is the right person to care for me anymore. I want to trust him and believe that nothing is wrong with me, but what if there is and it is ignored. He is our only pro-life doctor in this area and I see him all over town and he is always kind, but maybe I need someone more aggressive in monitoring my health care. I want to tell him this bc I want him to be that kind of doctor for me, but what if that is not possible? He is used to caring for women who have healthy pregnancies. He is used to doing all of the regular care for healthy women. I am not a healthy woman and it is becoming clearer to me every minute of every day. This morning, I looked at all of the ob/gyns in my area and one stood out, but it was not the one I had heard suggestions to go to in the event I switch ob/gyns. I really want to find a pro-life doctor, but if I switch, that won't be possible (at least locally). I was discerning this earlier and wondering if I could trust a doctor who is promoting a culture of death, rather than life? Even if he/she is on top of things for my medical care, should I avoid a doctor bc he gives out the pill?
As I am typing this I am in my recliner with my laptop on my knee and Baylie is laying across my chest with her back two paws on the keyboard and Daisy is laying at my feet. They have been chasing each other from one end of the house to the other, so they need a catnap.
By the way, DH is angry at God right now bc of our recent trauma and he is not praying (to my knowledge at least and this just adds to my anger!) so any prayers on his behalf will be greatly appreciated.
I asked him last night if he still wanted to have babies (naturally, of course, since this is almost the only way he sees to having them) and he said "yes, that is a silly question!" I told him, maybe sometime in 2010, I may want to try again and he was unhappy with this, but heck, my body is still in survival mode and I am not ready and he is nipping at my tail. These feelings come and go on my part and the fact that I was so temperamental with him yesterday, makes me believe that a new cycle may be on its way, but I think that is wishful thinking these days.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that dealing with doctors and trying to find good healthcare is so stressful. If you get better healthcare, it might be worthwhile to switch doctors even though your current one is the only one who is pro-life in your area. If you don't trust your doctor, you need to find a new one. It's kind of insane that even Houston doesn't have any NAPRO doctors.

    I really hope that you can find out what's going on with your body soon.

    I'll continue to pray for you and I'll especially pray for your husband faith to be strengthened

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry and all I can offer is prayer. Get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in your boat with the Napro dr too. The napro dr I had by me didn't do what was necessary for me except give me progesterone. I thought this dr was lazy and very non-aggressive. I need a dr that is aggressive. I guess I just try to do what I can with the dr I am seeing now. he does ART etc but I'm not. Dr. napro refused to give me clo.mid or anything else unless I went to dr. h. This new dr is giving me inject.ibles for he feels these will give us the best chances...the new dr right away recommended the lap surg. Now that's what I need...someone who isn't going to sit around. I prayed about all of this and feel that I made the best decision for my health. Unfortanetly, I don't have another choice for npro. OH well......I hope it all works out for you and pray to God for peace ( I know you are). I think it's wonderful that you kept the new kitty and she sounds so sweet. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos on keeping the kitten: she is a beauty. As for the doctor, find one you're with whom you're comfortable. You're correct in that some doctors simply haven't the experience or specilized training to adequately care for women with infertility. Ultimately, you're the one who has the final say on your care. If you decide on another doctor, you don't need to go with his or her every suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need more aggressive help, you would tell me to get it. :) So I am suggesting you look into it and "try" them out. Just sit then down and talk to them about what you are looking for. Interview them. :)

    I am so sorry it is hitting you like this! If I could take it away, I would in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you wish all doctors would look out for your best medical interests? It's so hard to summon the strengthen to consistently advocate for yourself, but especially when you're sick and the doctors are the ones who are supposed to be trained in getting you well. Sending lots of prayers your way -- for your physical healing, for DH's spiritual healing, and a thank you for Baylie coming into your lives. (And thank you for your kind comments on my blog yesterday. I'm glad it made you laugh! It kind of made me laugh as I wrote it too. Helps keep things in perspective.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should look for a doctor who has the experience to deal with serious medical problems if that's what you have. I wouldn't draw any lines with a doctor who prescribes the pill. Few of them could even articulate a reason it wouldn't be OK. You know, but they don't - you might be the first person they encounter who can *explain* why it's a problem, not "because the Church says so" but really why so they will understand!

    The thing is, going to a non-NaPro doctor means they might not have experience in the sort of monitoring and treatment that you'll want. But, then again, they might. I would think you'd want to interview them - talk about the treatment you're doing, whether they have any experience closely monitoring hormone levels and cycles and everything. My old OB/GYN (whom I still miss) wasn't Catholic, and wasn't qualified to treat IF (which SHE told ME as soon as I tested high for FSH), but she never argued with me that I really was having sex before I was married; when I told her I was sure a cyst had come back, she ordered an ultrasound because she believed me even though it was very early for that to happen (I was right); she respected my decisions and priorities and understood the reasoning for not using contraception on the first explanation and figured out intuitively the law of second effect (i.e., she pointed out that I should be able to take depo to treat endo if I weren't taking it for contraceptive reasons. I didn't end up taking it, but as a matter of moral theology, she was right). She was in favor of me having a big family if I could, since that's what I wanted.

    Anyway, I think you should choose the doctor who listens to you and is competent to treat you, regardless of the person's faith background. If nothing else, you might be a witness to that person! And you always have Dr. H to bounce things off of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending prayers your way! So sorry to hear about all that you are dealing with. May God bring you healing and peace and a good doctor!

    ReplyDelete