Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ups and Downs

I know that suffering can take on many different forms and for me that has manifested itself in missing mass again this Sunday.

We finally got out of the house last night and visited some friends. I 'knew' Joseph was well enough to get out and my husband was running a slight fever, but we were all getting cabin fever and some friends were in town and they did not mind that my husband was running a slight temp and we just made sure that none of the kids got around him too close. We had the best time and it did us a world of good. We were given tons of baby toys, boy clothes, and future sippy cups - fabulous time! All of this seems great, except we stayed too late and when I got home and put the baby back to sleep (he took some good sleeps over there) I passed out too. Next thing I know Joseph is waking at 5 am crying to eat and I struggle to open my eyes. My husband is not in the bed next to me. I am feeding the baby when he comes back into the room and I am surviving with itty bitty slits of my eyes open when he tells me he could not sleep and could I take him to the local urgent care because his ear is muffled, running a 102 fever, and bad cough. He wants to wait until the clinic opens at 10am, so I get the baby back to sleep, crawl back in bed for an hour until Joseph wakes again. When he wakes up, I feed him, change him, pack the diaper bag and load him up in the car, along with my staggering (boot leggy) husband. We make it to the clinic (45 min away) and while my husband is in the doctors office, I keep Joseph happy. hahahha Happy baby and long waits - not happening.

By the time I get the prescription filled (3) and buy cough syrup and get my two guys home it is really late. The doctor said that my husband's ear infection never fully healed and the additoin of the sinus/cough was not helping. Almost immediately, the meds begin working on my husband and he sweats his fever out, praise God. At the store getting the meds, I bought snacks for my husband because he was getting steriod meds that make you want to munch all the time. So he became a much happier man, quickly :) Joseph on the other hand was so tired, that he would wake when I put him down. That did not last too long, he is resting peacefully now on his own.

So, that is why I missed Mass again. On Friday, I tried to go to daily mass, but for some reason the mass was cancelled. I will make it back, I will.

In other fun news, I was able to go to the pre-Baptism class yesterday and I felt so renewed in my love for our Church and in the knowledge that God loves us all ways! I am looking foward to Joseph's Baptism, only 13 more days!!!

5 comments:

  1. New motherhood is hard, and once you are living your vocation off family life, sometimes stuff like this happens and it is not as easy to get to mass as it was before. God gives you graces and knows you know how important mass is. Don't be so hard on yourself, mama. I'll be praying for you.
    For us, it got so hard and so bad that we started trying to plan to go to Sat mass so that if something happened we could go the next day. That doesn't always work out, but it helps. That being said, every winter there are a few times we don't make it to mass because of sickness, snow, cold, whatever the reason.
    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can feel the exhaustion and pain in this post! Here's to better health and more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sickness is so rough! Glad DH is on the mend. Hope you get some time to yourself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great work for Christ right now! So excited about the upcoming Baptism. You'll be receiving TONS of graces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, today was so much better! Hubs is on the mend - no fever today! Joseph is feeling and sleeping great!

    ReplyDelete