Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday

Mardi Gras is always a time of mixed emotions for me. It used to be a big family day since we would spend the whole day with my grandparents who lived right off Ryan St., the Mardi Gras parade route. We would gather early for visiting and some yummy homemade food. My grandma made the best food and it did not matter what it was she cooked, it was always good and there was always something eat no matter what time you went over. Tonight on the news I caught a glimpse of their old house as they were reporting on the Mardi Gras parade and immediately my heart was filled with warmth and then I got very lonesome.

My stepdad and his parents, my grandparents, were quite likely the only people in my family that were authentically Catholic and truly lived the sacraments and I miss that. I have one aunt that is Catholic and understands our faith and why we live our life the way we do. No one on my husband's side actively live a life of faith by participating in the sacraments. I think that is why I desrie so much to create a family life that actively celebrates a sacremental life so that our child will fall more in love with Christ and the Church daily. I know that we can do everything possible and he could walk away from it, but we will live in faith that he will embrace a life of truth, generousity, and grace. I hope to inspire him and any other child the way my grandparents inspired me to live a life of virtue.

In preparing for Lent, I immediately thought that I feel like I have been living Lent already, but I was reminded that I am living my Easter right now.

Everyday with Joseph & Jessy is Easter.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I feel like Joseph has really done something wonderful in you. Your posts are soo honest, but you see Christ in everything. What a gift he has been to you and your family. Blessings, Holly
    ps- I just wrote a post about why I'm NOT giving up anything for Lent and now I feel badly. You are such a great example of a Catholic mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...you make living Lent look beautiful. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "living my Easter right now"

    Oh, I love the way you say things!!

    ReplyDelete