Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cold

Cold is a four letter word to me these days.

We cannot seem to get better. I think my run with the stuffy nose and cold symptoms is just seasonal allergies. My husband is just not fully well yet and has a cough still and has trouble hearing well because his ears are just troublesome. All of that I can handle, but it was nuts to care for Joseph while trying not to share our nasty germs. In the end he did get a viral infection and dealing with a pretty rough cold.

His sweet little eyes have been red/glassy, lots of congestion, coughing that started Thursday night, and when he threw up after eating on Friday morning, I stayed up and waited for the clinic to open to make sure that he not dealing with something worse. Of course when we get there, he sounds great - no coughing, etc. Well, they ended up doing a RSV swab and bloodwork. Praise God the RSV test was negative, but there was a virus of some kind that his body was dealing with and so the doctor ended up giving us some meds to help ease his congestion to help eventually reduce the coughing. For the week before this visit to the doctor, we were doing everything they told us to do. We were runnng the humidifier, using the saline drops and aspirator. Since we have returned home this poor child has been sneezing more and coughing less. The medicine is making the yucky stuff come out. I can't wait for him to feel better. Lots of bad mucus!!!

I have been a crazy nut, mu husband and I are driving each other bonkers because we are so sleepy. Since he was appartently trying to fight this illness off, he had not slept much and we did not know he was sick earlier in the week so no one really slept. Add the cold to the reflux issue, plus a mom who used to work with sick babies alot who knows everything that could go wrong - - and you have a crazy woman!!! I am suprised my husband has not rolled me under a school bus when it comes down our road!

While all this is going on, in the back of my mind I am worried about whether or not my husband will be able to return to work after his appt with the orthopedic doctor on Wednesday. His foot is still a pain for him and I am praying it is healing like they thought it could because I cannot imagine him having a surgery. Even now, he is such a trooper and caring for Joseph sometimes so I can sleep. Since Joseph is coughing less, we might all sleep again soon (at the same time), right now we are taking shifts!

Before having Joseph I never thought a cold could be this rough on a family. Now I know just how much it can tilt your world out of sync. While I am begging God for healing, I am thanking him letting this be the toughest thing we are fighting right now!

In other cold news - I need to get back on my thyroid meds. My feet STAY COLD!!! Nearly all week, I wore warm fuzzy socks and my husbands thermal hunting socks! At one point we had the heater on because it was just too cold for me!!! Who knows, that might be why we are all sick!

6 comments:

  1. We're all sick too! I feel your pain, anxiety and frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dealing with strep throat kiddies here... Will pray for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you've all been sick! I hope you all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that low thyroid function makes your immune system weak. Praying for healing, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our LO has been fighting a cold going on three weeks now, and so have we. She picked up RSV and now has a touch of bronchiolitis that will take a few weeks to pass. We tried our hardest to keep from passing any germs to her as we got sick, but it was a losing battle. It's hard to watch them sneeze, cough, and feel miserable like that. You'd take it all on yourself, if you could. I'm glad he's getting the gunk out. I have a feeling babies bounce back from these things much faster than their parents do.

    ReplyDelete