Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Praying for POO!!!!!!

I have to say that I have thrown God a few curveballs in my day, but He is getting tons of curveballs from my heart these days.





I had reached a new level of desperate and began praying for POO for sweet Joseph since early Monday afternoon. He has always been very regular, but for some reason he went about 50 hours without having a bowel movement and it was making him miserable. In turn, his mom became a walking zombie and very miserable, too! The doctor told us give him a infant suppository today to help him out. So that was the next step to helping him, add another trip to Wal,greens.





If that is not enough for this new mom facing the challenge of a child with Reflux, Thrush, and gas, I ended up getting a severe case of diarrehea since Sunday and have not been able to keep anything in me. I have lost more than 40 lbs in the last 5 weeks and I did not even gain that much during my pregnancy. I love weighing less but that is not the way to do it. Oh, yeah, lets add one more kink to the wheel in addition to the scheduled pumping and lack of enough milk to make a full day I have discovered that my incision had a small opening and there was an area that was inflamed. I tried to self cure myself without calling the doctor over the weekend and then with the added fuss of caring for a newborn I was forgetting to care for myself. I finally called the doctor today and told her what was going on and she immediately wanted me to come in so she can see the area. Oh, yah, let me just run right out like I have no other things to do.





I had my spiritual director already on her way to visit and meet Joseph. I had about 1 hour to get to the doctor's office and I live 40 minutes away. I ended up feeding the baby, visiting with her, changing the diaper, changing the outfit of the baby, and barely make it. I have only drove with the baby on my own once before and with his current level of discomfort and fussiness - I was STReSSED OUT!!! I simply put him in the carseat and PRAYED for the best.





I literally begged our blessed Mother to come and comfort him because I just could not be in the driver's seat and be next to him. Somehow, I made it there and he did not die from crying. Thankfull, he did not cry for too long. I had one hand on the wheel and one hand trying to vibrate the carseat. Not a pretty site. Imagine that! My husband was lifesaver and met me at the parking lot of my doctor's office since he was close to getting off from work and works in town. I was 10 minutes late, so as soon as I parked the car, my husband hopes in the backseat of my car and I run (literally run) into my doctor's office because we basically tried to move mountains to get there and by golly I needed them to see me after doing all of that and not close the office!





Well, I get there and what do I do . .. wait! Joseph is unhappy in the car! My husband consoles him as best as you can in the backseat of a car. Needless to say, no one is happy at this point. I ended up getting called back into a room. As I wait, I get to read a magazine! What, I have two free hands? Are you serious? Finally, the doctor comes in and she tells me that the area doesn't look infected but she worked on the area and then told me to take some probiotics, stop the glucophage and the prenatal I was taking because it has a stool softener in it, and add some Immodium to see if the bowel issue improves and try a new prenatal. I was so relieved and I will see her again next week. She asked me to call her if the bowel issue doesn't improve because of me giving him breastmilk this is a concern and we don't want there to be something I can pass on to him. I am not giong to ask if this can be harder because I know that others are successfully dealing with much bigger challenges. It can always be worse and I don't need to experience it to know that life can be even harder.





So I finally get to leave the doctors office and relieve my husband. We decide to go to Wal,greens following one another so that I can run in while he sits in the car with Joseph. I make it there and run in and was on a mission. Probiotics for me and and the suppository for Joseph. That was it. No taking my time to stroll down the aisles. Get what I need and GO! I asked the pharmacy people to tell me where those items are and they actually tell me that are not sure. What? Then when I ask them to find out they tell me the wrong aisle. So I wait for the manager to help me and then when I finally find it, I quickly check out and head to the car.





I walk as fast as I can to the car and when I get there my husband has Joseph in his arms and a horrid look on his face and tells me "We have a CODE RED! He had a blowout!" Talk about answered prayers and Murphy's Law. I literally just bought the suppositories and thankfully I did not need to use them! Praise God in heaven!!!





Yes, that is how I ended up sitting cross-legged on the floor of the women's bathroom in Wal,greens. Joseph relieved himself finally and it was not pretty! I sort of felt guilty leaving that nasty diaper in their trash can. For some reason there is not changing station in wal,greens' bathroom so I had to lay down his blanket and change him. It took almost all the wipes I had in his bag to clean him and his legs :) It was the worst diaper that I was so thankful to change.





I ran into the manager on my way out and we had a quick laugh that I no longer needed the item he just helped me find! When I find my way outside again to meet my husband who is still waiting for us, I find him airing up my back tire. No, there is no limit to our worries these days.





So, by now it is time to feed Joseph again. I feed him & burp him in the parking lot crammed in the backseat. At least he was much happier this feeding time :) He had lots of room in his tummy!





Now, today has definitely been memorable and I feel like I have been branded into my new role as a Mom. Being Joseph's Mom has not been all I imagined, there are moments that have exceeded all of my expectations and even cleaning up poo while sitting on the floor of a public bathroom made me so thankful for being a Mom, finally.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it through your initiation!!!! Now that's an AWESOME war story. Even though we 'know' we're moms, war stories help us really embrace it. I'm so glad you surived it all --- and that you wrote it all out. Praying for a peaceful, restful night for all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this all sounds SO familiar!!!! I was reliving so many moments while reading it!! I am so happy that all is well for now, and I know there will be more exciting moments to come! HA! (Yes, easy for me to chuckle since it's been a few months since I've dealt with a diaper explosion!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwwwwww! No changing station?
    The floor?!
    Come ON, walgreens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stressful day! I hope your adrenals have had a time to recover! It's crazy! You survived! Poo has happened! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally been there! In fact both boys enjoy pooping at the same time. At the most inconvenient places. Plus You don't even want to know how many times I've pulled over to the side of the road so M could pee because I'm SO not Getting Everyone out of the car for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story!

    You passed the "secret poop initiation test!"

    You will advance a level when you do the same in an airplane bathroom...

    Way to go momma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me laugh only because it is funny how now as a mom poop makes us all sooo happy! Your story sounded so stressful!!! Poor little baby all backed up :(
    I am glad he is feeling better and I hope you are too.
    Prayers,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for poop! You are doing a great, great job with your yummy little guy. Hope everyone feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete