Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ambulances

What a title, huh?

Well the simple fact is that I have a wretched love/hate relationship with ambulances.

On the one hand, they help save lives. On the other hand they represent that someone is fighting to live, begging God to not be ready to take them to their eternal home yet.

Since May 16, 2009, the sad day I had to ride in two of them because of my ruptured ectopic pregnancy, I would always have vivid memories of the bumps I felt, the scents I smelled, and conversations I overheard while being brought to the hospital. No doubt, arriving safely and quickly to the hospital saved my life that day. Sadly, there was nothing that could be done to save Nicky's little life.

Yet, today, over two years later, when one came up right behind me with their sirens blaring, I experienced no rush of tears, no quickened rapid heart pitter-patter like I always experience.

I just quickly got out of the way and prayed. I prayed for the EMTs, the one they were responding to, and their families. Then, I prayed a prayer of thanksgiving that God spared my life and for the little miracle sitting contently in my backseat. Finally, I smiled up to heaven and talked with my sweet Nicky.

I feel like the is a huge, huge milestone in my healing heart. Praise God for healing!

3 comments:

  1. You had me worried there for a minute! I'm glad your heart is healing and ambulances aren't causing PTSD anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You scared me with that title! Praise God for His amazing healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel so sad if I realize that a bad traffic jam is due to an accident that involved ambulances and emergency crews especially if I acted so impatient while waiting in the traffic backup. I too always try to say a quick prayer for whatever the situation may possibly be. Hooray for healing!

    ReplyDelete