Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Good news, bad news

 

You know that today was Joseph’s allergy testing in Lafayette and I was dreading it.  We had less than a week to prepare for it, so that helped a ton to keep it not being to much to worry about. 

As the days went by I got a bit nervous and I really wanted to cancel the appointment because I have heard a few horror stories from other moms who had to travel the same path to helping find solutions for their kids health concerns.

Well, today Joseph slept really late and so he got up just in time to make the trip without worrying about being late.  We made it there on time and the directions were clear and easy to find.  When we drove up, the space was welcoming and the staff was very friendly.  Yet, we waited and waiting in a lobby with Joseph can wear a Momma like me out.  You know, he wants to water the floor with the water fountain.  Silly kid, he thinks drinking from it is what you do when you are tired of letting it splash everywhere.  No, he wasn’t that bad, but when your nerves are worked up, you just want to sit quietly and hope for a quick exit.

Since redirecting him from the water fountain was like trying to herd a dozen wild animals, I brought him to look at the fist tank, it worked great to diminish our anxiety, but the little Momma and her sweet two kids who came in to keep us company were not so helpful.  In making light conversation, they were really sweet, I shared that it was our first visit and Joseph would be doing allergy testing that day.  The little boy ( I am guessing 5 years old or older) told Joseph to his face “It is going to HURT . . . .BAAAADDD”.  Uh, great!  Thanks for sharing.  I nonchalantly asked if he cried and he said “YES”.  His momma really saturated my fears when she told me that when she first brought her older daughter for allergy testing that “I [the mom'] passed out, she was screaming and crying so much, I could not handle it.”  I was shocked.  Here I was alone, in another city and this is the conversation that is happening. 

Joseph casually walked away from this area and the family and I followed him out and within moments a nurse calls us back.    I am freaking out on the inside wondering how things will go, will my very sensitive child have as terrible of a time as the others, and how am I going to handle watching him suffer.  I am holding his hand, leading the way, praying silently a Hail Mary and reflecting on the courage of Mary who also had to stand by her son in times of suffering and I lift up my eyes and my eyes find him, Jesus.  Jesus, on the cross.  My fears relieved, my faith reaffirmed.  I know not to fear, I am so thankful for those moments of grace . . . praise God.  Joseph hightails it in there, climbing on the scale (38 lbs) and measuring his height and walking calmly to the room.  All went well and the nurse was very reassuring and kind.

We greet the doctor and he basically tells me that “You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.”  I am further shocked, but not rocked.  God’s got this.  The allergy testing went fine, Joseph was a super hero, no crying.  A small amount of whining but we survived great.  He inspires me.  He kept telling me “It tickles” but we just stayed focused on drawing pictures on the paper that was on the bed (gurney thing) that he was sitting on.  We drew dinosaurs, cats, stars, rainbows, trucks, and his name.  When it was all done and it was time to leave, he asked for his shirt and said good bye to all of the picture animals we drew. 

Without a doubt, God was with us today.  He gave Joseph a peaceful spirit, he gave me a courageous heart, and he gave the wonderful staff a very kind and welcoming nature.  It turns out that Joseph did not show any allergic reactions to any food allergies (wheat, dairy, or peanuts), dust, or pet dander.  So good news, in that there is no foods to avoid, no cats to part with, or other worrisome needs.  Bad news, no real reason for the problematic eczema we are facing except for two scripts to help and a strong suggestion to see a dermatologist in the hopes that they may have a better answer for us.

IMG_2442

Thanks Momma Mary, for showing up and guiding this Momma’s spirit today with a gentle reminder to always trust in God’s great love for us and specifically for my little family.

1 comment:

  1. From what I have read excema is the cause of inflammation in the body...From what I understand Dairy/Wheat/Grains are high inflammatories and taking that a step further so are nightshades. Calming the gut might help him and an elimination diet might benefit you to see what foods are irritating. My issues didn't come up as "allergies" in blood. :( So sad for him.....It's so alarming for a momma to handle! :(

    I have been able to calm H excema with no flare ups taking her off all wheat and all dairy.....but haven't gotten it completely gone. No flare ups is fine for me at this time. After her thyroid test if nothing comes back, I'm putting her on an elimination diet. :(

    ReplyDelete