Thursday, July 26, 2012

Happy moments

 

Our lives have been so incredibly crazy and that is why I have failed to write in awhile. 

I have been wanting to write about Joseph’s big changes, he is growing up so fast!  At 19 months, he is weighing it at 31 lbs & is 35 inches tall.  No wonder I tire so easily chasing him.  I told Jessy tonight, I am just going to stay home (like never leave the house EVER) until he is 4 because maybe by then the will not be so impulsive and understand my simple directions better.  Then I laughed at myself and know that 4 year olds are NO EASIER than 19 month olds, just different challenges.

In the past week, we lived through a F-4 tornado that made a direct path in the location we were at and it was the scariest moments of my life.  We are all still recovering a bit.

It all happened when we brought the big boys to see their grandparents from their Dad’s side and we ran to buy Matthew his birthday gifts!  We returned and they asked us to visit a few minutes and we all gathered in their large living room.  I was sitting underneath the big picture window and Joseph was at my feet or on my lap the whole time.  We all visited and the big boys walked to the kitchen and in a moment I looked down and did not see Joseph.  He followed the big boys to the kitchen and so I jumped up and went to meet them.  I got there and they were having a snack and so we made a tiny amount for Joseph.  I was feeding him, he was on my lap at the table, and I asked Mitchell to run to the van and get Joseph’s cup of water.  He just took one step outside and then I heard him come back in quickly (his Uncle Mike pushed him back in the house) and then our world shook.  Literally, our world shook.  I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what was happening.  All I know is that I was holding Joseph close and tight and reaching out my hands to touch and hold the hands of the big boys.    I could understand why Uncle Mike was squatted down in the front of the storm door looking out the garage, but he KNEW what was coming and that is why he thrust Mitchell back in the house.  We had no idea bad weather was coming, I sure would not have asked someone to go outside had I known what was happening.  Well, we survived the rumbling, tumbling, and chaos but the chaos was much worse where Jessy was at in the living room.  In a brief moment, he said he was looking out of the picture window when a huge transformer blew up and he could see the storm approach, he had just enough time to just in front of the boys’s grandpa who was in his wheelchair.  Their grandma, only had time to tuck her head and turn her back to the window.  Our guardian angels were present, indeed. 

What happened was in the worst of the tornado, a large tree branch from the home across the street flew through their picture window, right above where Joseph and I were just sitting.  The force of the wind, threw Jessy down and he fell amongst the glass and got cut up.  There was enough broken glass to fill a 5 gallon bucket when we swept it up.  This all happened on Friday and that whole neighborhood did not get electricity and water until Monday evening.  It was unreal.  I have never been afraid of weather before, but now I am very concerned when I hear strong weather approaching.  Everyone turned out ok, but it was a tough couple hours there until the grandparents went to stay at their daughter’s home and then we headed home. 

Thankfully, when we did arrive home, we found our home intact and had electricity.

I think of it as the night that Joseph helped us avoid great trauma.  He never wanders off from me over there and it surprised me when he did and so I followed him quickly and am so glad I did.  I am also so glad Matthew and Mitchel got hungry for a snack, other wise all 4 of us would have still been in that living room. 

Due to all the craziness, Joseph’s sleeping and health have been all over the place, he got a summer cold and has been going to bed later this week.  He is now finally on a somewhat more normal schedule.

In addition to all this, we have been battling insurance adjusters because we have a bad leak in our hallway and they are not wanting to cover it.  We have no money to repair it, but we are trusting God with leading us.  We have outgrown our home and need another home but we have to fix this first before we think of building another one.  So much to decide.

All of this to say, these moments below are so much more special to me these days!

 

DSCN4657

Joseph saying ‘hi daisy’!

DSCN4661

He adore her and she is kind enough to stay still for him to kiss (get close enough that he thinks he is kissing her)!

DSCN4662

I am still amazed that he is my child!  Praise God from who all blessings flow!!

6 comments:

  1. We had a tornado pass through the area last year. It was never close enough for us to see it (thank goodness), but the wind and rain were blowing sideways including through one of our windows which was closed. I've been leery of thunderstorms and severe weather ever since. Even yesterday as a storm blew through I was calculating how quickly we could grab Kathleen, the cat, and the dog and head for the basement if things picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you are all okay!!! Your guardian angels were working overtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad everyone was relatively okay! It's amazing the way things worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank heavens everyone is okay!! Yes, as a mom of a 22 month old and a 4 yr old ~ each age has its own challenges and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary! I'm glad everyone is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, how scary! Being a Nebraskan we get our share of tornadoes too so I know how scary they can be! I'm SO SO glad you were all okay!!!

    ReplyDelete