Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Decorations & Weird Moments





A waiting manger . . . waiting!!!!


Daisy hiding behind Frosty!
We had a nice weekend, but I have been nursing a bad headache and I think it is related to a sinus infection. That being said, we had J's christmas party at Jack.Daniels' Bar & Grill (if you have never been there, count yourself lucky :) Immodesty is thriving there!) Just kidding, the food was great and the company unmatched. Yet, when were were sitted at the table, it was just us and one other couple there at that point and she did not know us well, so her first question was "So, how many children do you have?" I handled it easily is saying "oh, no we don't HAVE any children right now?" No explaination, no please feel sorry for me explainations. THEN, "She looks at her husband and say "LUCKY!" Now you know that wild horses could not have stopped me from addressing that right at the moment. I think J was praying that my claws would stay down and that I would remain cool. I graciously explained at that point that we would LOVE beyond anything imaginable to have a brood of children and that we did just lose a baby in May. No tears, no ugliness, just simple honesty. They received that news graciously, I just wish people would not assume that every couple who does not have any children are doing that because of selfish motives, in fact, most are not 'choosing' that at all.

Emotionally, I have been much more stable. If someone asked me that a week ago, I would have run crying to the bathroom in shame. I think that grief being so strong for the first part of advent was necessary. I woke up in the middle of the night on Saturday morning and wrote a letter to Nicky. There was sweet release in those moments.

Enjoy the pictures!





A new ornament for Nicky. I could not find a little "n" at the craft store for some reason I think of a shining star of hope when I think of Nicky, so I made this one. I am not crafty, but I like it and I like that I made it.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful ornament for Nicky.

    You handled it well. I normally say "no," hear the "lucky" comment and move on. It isn't healthy or educating, but I'm just not in a place where I can share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Nicky's ornament. You handled the "lucky" comment really well. Your house looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ornament is beautiful. I would have done the same as you if someone said that to me.. made sure they knew we didn't consider ourselves lucky at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It upsets me so much that people still have the nerve to say that to someone, especially when they don't even know your story. You certainly handled it with grace!

    Your tree looks great & I love the ornament you made to honor Nicky. Very special. Thinking of you during the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete